Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Chocolate Tart

I had to make a dessert for shabbat and I was debating what to do. I recently got into lemon. I LOVE using fresh lemons in anything I can. I was debating between lemon meringue pie and a spice cake. I've never made either, but I have eaten both and they are both delicious. I couldn't figure out which one I was in the mood for. Finally, I decided to go for something chocolate because you can't go wrong with chocolate.

I found a recipe in an Israeli cook book (Karin Goren) for a chocolate tart. I have made a few recipes from this book and they were all great. One of my coworkers (who recommended the book) also only has positive feedback about all of the recipes from it.

It called for a food processor to make the dough. I used a kitchenaid (because that's what I have) and changed the method and the dough came out great.


You can see the dough formed a nice ball. In a food processor, you start off with the dry ingredients and then add the wet. In a mixer, you cream the butter and sugar, add the wet, and then the dry. The outcome is the same though. Once the dough is done you form it into a disc, wrap it up and stick it in the fridge so that it is ready for rolling. Roll it out and put it in the pan.


Poke some holes in the dough and bake! Once the dough is cool, you can make the filling which includes eggs, vanilla, chocolate, creamer etc. It is important to use good quality chocolate because it can really affect the taste. The recipe called for creamer but I used a container of whipping cream and it was lovely. Once the filling is ready, pour it into the cooled crust and bake for about 20 minutes. It's ok if it doesn't look ready because it sets while it is cooling. Once it is cooled, pour on a basic ganache and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.

The tart came out delicious. I, personally, don't think there is such a thing as too rich or too chocolatey, but some might say that it is.

I would post the recipe, but it is in a cook book in Hebrew. If anyone wants it, please contact me and I will be more than happy to share it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment